Pages

Saturday, February 16, 2013

Brighton Resort

Brad wants to name this post "Rachel goes pro..."



We branched out of our practice snowboarding, and bought tickets for a real, live resort day!  Everyone says Brighton is a lot of fun and has a lot of runs made for beginners. We saw the map when we got there, and it was something like 25% beginner runs, 40% intermediate runs, and 35% advanced runs. Nice balance, I think.



Anyways, we bought a "learner's pass".. awesome value and lets us take two lifts which is about 6-7 runs available to us total. PLENTY for me and enough to keep Brad excited and non-bored. The snow here was... nothing I've ever felt. The moment I stood up I picked up tremendous speed and got insanely nervous. I have only snowboarded on a slow, slow hill that is wide and clear. Here, we were still on wide beginner runs, but much steeper, faster, and integrated in the trees.







I was a little shaky at the beginning, but honestly today, something CLICKED. It made since. It was snowing the whole time we were there so we were in constant beautiful, light, fluffy, soft powder snow which made it helpful in nailing my turns! On our usual practice hill, I am going so, so slow that it's hard to get up enough speed to practice the turning in S shapes down the hill. Here, however, it was crucial I used that skill.


 I got really good at it and comfortable with it. I was happy, excited and having fun, which meant Brad was over-the moon happy. He is so excited when I excel. Also, there were tiny jumps built into the sides of the runs and he could go off trail and wind through the trees, so it was awesome for both skill levels.

Check out these videos. Might not seem like a big deal to see me casually weave down the mountain... but to us, it's a huge deal that I understand how to move on the board, and I am going down the long runs without falling at all. Not once :) Just sayin...

In this first video, you see a skiier go by at first-- but look at the top of the hill. I am in a black jacket and you will see me flawlessly S curve from side to side down the hill and wave at the end like a pro :) hehe


This is a video of Brad.. he thinks it looks stupid but he's so good I wanted to show it. He goes over a little jump you will hardly notice, but seemed bigger in person haha, and then disappears into the trees! Love my hubby he's so good at this :)

The End!

1 comment:

  1. Looks like fun!! I'd like to see helmets on you both. (I can never stop being dad)

    ReplyDelete